Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My salad dressing is as good as this

Last night, I got kind of lazy, so I decided to make a basic salad with a side of polenta. This is actually a dish I had one year at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. One of the vendors made polenta, which they put in one of those flat gyro containers, and topped a basic salad on top. Sounds weird with the hot/cold combo, but it was actually quite good.

But I did consult my ATK cookbook to make their basic vinaigrette. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that it tastes every bit as good as mine! Well, I can't really say "mine", since it's really Mike's original concoction. But it's mine now! I took it! Mwahahaha.

Sorry.

So anyway, their recipe calls for all the same ingredients that I have used before -- oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, shallots, dijon -- but I did use my chardonnay vinegar, rather than the types they suggested. And their recipe called for garlic and fresh herbs, such as basil, which I had on hand. That gave it a fresh flavor.

Salad was topped with fresh strawberries and feta. Yum.

I had a pre-made package of polenta, which was good. But next time I'll make my own. It's pretty simple.

No comments: